Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Don't Panic

I've always enjoyed "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. So I'm slightly ripping him off with my title. But it has become my mantra for the last few days.

On Tuesday we went to the doctor's for Izzie's first year check up and shots. Turns out that Izzie is a bit of a lightweight. She's so much of a lightweight that she is in the 4th percentile. And the doctor was worried and wants us back in a month to check her again.

Moments like that, some people shut down, some freak, some cry and some wonder why. I wondered why. I've talked with many people about this and they've all said the samething. Izzie looks fine, and she is light but since she eats regularly and is healthy that I shouldn't worry. "Don't let Izzie see you upset, it will affect her."

I think the best lesson I will take from all of this is: "Don't make food or feeding an issue." I have worked very hard to make meal time a relaxed, leisurly time. No force, no freaking out. Once we came back from the doctors, all that flew out the window. I started writing everything she ate down, I started shoving food into her mouth, I started analyzing my mother-ing/isms. And once I sat down and started to breath I realized that I was doing more harm than good. I stopped and let Izzie be herself.

Izzie has hit all of her developmental milestones, she is well fed, and she's fine. (I know she's fine. My other mantra) She is a bright, beautiful little wonder....who is trying to gnaw on my knee as I type..goof. She is slight, and petite. I am not, but her father is. And even though I am going to be calm and cool, I will worry. That is the one thing I will not be able to stop. As I tell Phil; I worry. It's what I do.

Also, a good friend of mine sent me a link to the WHO growth chart that acknowledges that BF babies tend to be leaner that FF babies. I'm not knocking FF babies or their mothers! But I wanted to include the link if anyone was interested.
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment